All original images and text are copyright 2008-2021 Liz Sweibel


Saturday, September 4, 2010

Rest in Peace, Willa

I've been reconnecting more with my Boston art community.  I miss these artists and my critique group dearly; it is about the only aspect of my Boston years I still mourn for.  I'm fairly isolated in NYC as an artist, and it makes it all harder.  I was invited into a critique group shortly after moving here in 2004 and was in it for a couple of years, but it was unsatisfying - and that was more painful than the isolation, so I left it.  Part of the appeal of the Governors Island residency is to meet other artists and work in a shared space for awhile.

I've been in closer touch with Marty Epp-Carter, who was my Boston studiomate and crit group buddy, and remains my dear friend.  We went through an enormous amount together, from our day-to-day art and life exchanges to my intense MFA years to the simultaneous end of our long-term relationships to our moves out of our fabulous studio to new parts of the country.

One of the special treats of our studio life together was that Marty brought Willa, her yellow Lab.  If they arrived after me, Willa would charge through Marty's studio up the steps and back to mine to say hello before the leash was off.  Willa made a huge contribution to the home-like quality of our space.

This morning Marty is saying good-bye to Willa, who has grown very old.  When I got Marty's note last night, a huge wave of grief and loss crashed down on me.  From my experiences losing Spike and Riley, the moment will be cutting, and the absence will resonate for many, many months and linger forever.  Rest in peace, Willa.

No comments:

Post a Comment