All original images and text are copyright 2008-2021 Liz Sweibel


Sunday, October 17, 2010

This has been the most focused, productive weekend I've had in s-o-o-o-o long.  I'm alternately elated and weepy with relief and gratitude.  The thread drawings are fresh.  I don't know them.  The opacity of the vellum adds a sculptural element, makes the work physical, and adds much possibility.  The sewing and knotting slow me down.  There's tension between control and letting go, front and back, visible and less visible.  And as a bonus, I suspect and hope that these drawings could lead me forward to sculpture and installation.

I also got a beautiful run in today in Prospect Park, albeit with about a million people walking for the American Cancer Society.  The swan family I've been watching continues to travel together; the four signets are almost full size but still gray on the outside.  I see white beneath.  The turtles were also out sunning.  Last time I was there, four turtles were lined up on a log in the lake, each with one rear leg extended, like a turtle arabesque.  It must be a drying strategy to prevent mold, sort of like the swans throwing a flipper over their backs, which I wrote about a few posts back.

What a relief to go into the work week having had this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment